The technological expansion that we are experiencing in this historical moment has seen the birth of the need to possess also various addresses of mail. Several IMAP or webmail have entered the market over the years, offering different services that often also have a unique use. University, work, personal emails, corporate emails, are just a few examples that can be useful to understand how many different purposes we use email services for today. This has seen the birth of the need to be able to manage in a single platform the different clients, so you can store all your emails, calendar and address book in comfort. Thunderbird is undoubtedly one of the best clients on the market, since it allows you to easily export contacts from Gmail to the Mozilla Thunderbird address book.
Why choose Thunderbird
The client developed by the famous Mozilla browser, after a period of partial abandonment, has undergone a relaunch as a result of significant internal investments to the company. The most important perhaps is the update related to OpenPGP encryption, introduced to make communication and connection related to mail messages even more secure. In addition to the classic features also offered by competitors, Thunderbird stands out for specific features, related in particular to the latest update. Let’s talk about:
- Unread folders: in Thunderbird the unread messages folder allows you to view all unread emails by aggregating them to the various synced accounts;
- Open source add-ons: has a rich community of developers who keep several interesting add-ons that enrich their functionality;
- Junk Mail Filter: By marking unwanted messages as spam, the user can train Thunderbird to recognize what it considers spam;
- Sort by: The user can choose from a variety of sorting options to facilitate searching for messages in folders. You can quickly sort by date, received order, priority, status, sender, reading, tags, attachments, junk status, ascending, descending, etc.
Sync contacts on Gmail
Actually synchronizing contacts saved on Gmail can be done in several ways, but in this paragraph we will consider the fastest and most effective one. You won’t need to install external apps or add-ons, but just follow these few simple steps:
- Log in to your Gmail account and click the menu at the top right that shows all Google apps.
- Click on the word Contacts and then in the next menu on the item Export, choosing the option CSV Outlook.
- A file will be created. csv containing your own address book that will be imported to Thunderbird, through the steps Address Book>Tool>Import.
- At this point you can opt for 5 different options, the one that refers to Address Books.
- On the next screen, choose the Text file entry and then select the file that you have exported previously from Gmail.
Procedure finally concluded and that can be used in the future also to synchronize and export contacts on a different mail provider.